After twenty 545 mile bike rides from San Francisco to Los Angeles, in support of the fight against the AIDS Pandemic. AIDS/Lifecycle Rider, Tony Eason has finally got it figured out.
Basically, for each day of your 7 day bike trek, you pack & label a one gallon sized zip loc bag with each day’s bike gear and nutritional supplements.
- 2 electrolyte drink packs
- 2 vitamin packs,
- 1 Recovery Drink Pack,
- 2 carbohydrate shots
- 1 shampoo,
- 1 toothpaste,
- 1 razor,
- 1 cycling jersey,
- 1 cycling shorts,
- 1 pair of socks,
- 1 base layer shirt
Place the Day #1 Bag next to your bed [for the morning].. Pack the other six bags & all accessories. Place gear bag, helmet, registration materials, and water bottles next to front door [cause you may have to sprint to the start line].
On Day #1 of the AIDS/Lifecycle Event:
- Unpack the Day #1 zip loc bag [located next to your bed].
- Put on the bike gear.
- Cover yourself with Sunscreen (regardless of the sun).
- Ingest one of your two vitamin packs.
- Place the carbohydrate shots & electrolyte drink packs in your bike jersey pockets (for use throughout the day).
- Leave the remaining supplements (recovery drink & vitamin pack) and toiletries in their original zip loc bag and place in gear bag [before departure to start line].
At the completion of your 1st of 7 daily bicycle rides:
- Re-open the zip loc labeled Day #1.
- Ingest the remaining vitamin pack.
- Mix & begin to ingest your recovery drink.
- Grab your toiletries and run to the showers.
After your shower:
- Wash whatever cycling gear / hand towel that needs to be recycled (with the extra shampoo from that day).
- Throw out /or/ leave in the shower the excess toiletries.
- Hang your cycling gear to dry (use the twine and clothes pins).
- Go start eating your carbs, protein, electrolytes and fat (eating within the first 30 – 45 minutes will enhance your recovery).
And at the end of the day (before falling sleep):
- Pack all the cycling gear from that day’s bike trek back in it’s original zip loc bag.
- Seal the bag tight. & place back in your bag.
- Remove Bag #2 from you bag and place next to sleeping bag [can be used as pillow].
- Pack everything possible before going to sleep [it will be much harder to pack in the morning = cold, damp & dark].
The morning of Day #2 of the AIDS/Lifecycle Event,
- Unzip the Day #2 zip loc bag [look next to your head], and put on the fresh gear.
- Cover yourself with Sunscreen.
- Ingest one of your vitamin packs.
- Place the carbohydrate shots & electrolyte drink packs in your cycling jersey pocket.
- Leave the remaining supplements in their zip loc bag and place back in gear bag.
- At the completion of your 2nd day of 7 daily bicycle rides, repeat the same procedure as you did Day #1. Repeat the routine 6 times.
- Additional toiletries should be packed in additional zip loc bag.
- All clothing lying around your tent should be placed in a heavy duty trash bag (in case of unexpected showers or water sprinkler activation during your sleeping time)
- Also, because of condensation on the tent walls, do not let anything touch the side panels of your tent.
- And remember, when creating your personal ALC packing list -“If you can’t carry your bag for two blocks ….you packed way too much shit!” Enjoy the journey!
The Complete AIDSLifecycle Packing List
Related AIDS Ride Packing List Links:
- AIDSLifecycle Official Packing List
- The Care Exchange – Bike 101 – Packing List
- A Packing List for Women
- Sports Basement’s ALC Packing List