How to begin A Keyword Research & Analysis
Now that you have chosen your CMS & your site architecture is written; sit down and start your keyword research.
Use free keyword tools like the Google Keywords Tool to identify keywords; run a “Related Search” to acquire words & synonyms used by internet searchers to find services or products similar to yours.
- Make a list of your Potential Client Base / Audience – Who would use your products or services?
- Make a list of words or phrases “Your Client Base would use” to find your product or services. [Example: If website is about = "YOGA TEACHER" Keywords = "yoga classes, yoga studios, yoga lessons,"
- Write down the keywords, terms and phrases, that best describe your website's theme, services, products, and content. - What is your website about?
- Overlap the "searcher's intent" [what users want] and the “web page content.
Short Keywords vs Long Keyword Phrases
Long tail keywords are a type of keyword phrase that has at least three to five words in the phrase. These keywords are highly specific, and draw less traffic for the website, but tend to draw more quality traffic, which leads in more conversions than “head”l keywords.
Short-Tail Keywords have more competition and usually generate lower click through rates than Long-Tail Keywords. An example of Short Tail Keywords would be “yoga teacher”, while Long-Tail Keywords would be “downtown San Francisco yoga teacher”.
Keywords between 11-15 characters seem to generate the bulk of impressions, clicks, and conversions.
The title and description tags are the first thing a user will see when they see a list of possible web pages in the SERPS.
If your title and description meta tags are coherent and well written, you may see an increased click through rate.[EXPAND read more]
- Title tag: Adjust the tag to add relevant key word topics. Most search engines use a maximum of 60 chars for the title tag.
- Description tag: The meta description tag serves the function of advertising copy, drawing readers to a website from the results and thus, is an extremely important are extremely important in gaining user click-through from search engine result pages (SERPs). Most search engines use a maximum of 160 chars for the description.
- Headings: Usa a <H1> heading tag which includes words that are relevant to your topic. The <h1> tag is one of the signals to the search engines as to the topic of the webpage.
- Content: Write “Original” website content which includes relevant target keywords. Keywords should represent approx. 2 – 3% of your content per page.
- Internal linking: An internal link is a link on a web page that links to another page on the same site or domain. Internal links provide both users and search engines with valuable insight into your site’s content. Link keywords relevant to other content, informational and product web pages. Search engines have an approx limit of 150 links per page, before they may stop spidering additional pages linked-to from a page.
- Slug: Make sure your keywords are present. Take away the stop words.
Keyword Optimization Strategies:
SEO Consultant – Yoga Teacher – Event Manager – Road Cyclist – Marathon Runner