Lube up your bike chain & get your freak on cause Tour De Fat is back for its 11th season! (AND I’m definitely going).
on Saturday, 25 September 2010, New Belgium Brewing Company’s traveling celebration of all things bicycle rolls through San Francisco (again) raising money & sharing bike love. And one person will help honor mankind’s greatest invention, the bicycle, by handing over their car keys and committing to a year of car-free living. The lucky individual will receive a hand-built Black Sheep Bike
Tour De Fat
11:00am – 5:00pm.
25 September 2010
New Location – Lindley Meadow ,Golden Gate Park, San Francisco
So just “SAY NO TO THE AUTOMOBILE” and submit a video or essay describing your desire to live sans-car for a year. And you, just may get lucky! To submit an application, log on to http://www.newbelgium.com/tour-de-fat.
The Bay Area Ridge Trail Council & the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition will host the celebration of all things bike, featuring the absolutely-can’t-miss-Bike-Parade (costumes HIGHLY encouraged), vaudevillian & other entertainment, trick bikes for all to ride, comedy, port-a-potty karaoke, amazing art bikes, and culminating with the Tour De Fat bike swap .
Proceeds from merchandise and the New Belgium Portfolio of Beer sales benefit these two great nonprofits; last year, the Tour raised ~$30,000 for the Council and SFBC, and over the past 7 years has raised tens of thousands to help complete the Ridge Trail.
It takes many many volunteers to run the Tour, but all of them have a blast; smiles and laughter are virtually guaranteed. Join the fun; and help raise funds to complete the Ridge Trail.
The Ten Commandments of the Tour De Fat:
1. Put no means of transport before thy bike: Come by bike because not only are bikes fun, but they help stave off some of our most wicked ills: Traffic, laziness, and pollution. Tour de Fat has a solution: ride this day, every day, and definitely when Tour de Fat heads your way.
2. Honor all other bikes: All bikes are good bikes, and all those who ride them are good people. This is the one Bike Festival that cherishes bicycle diversity on our Cruise-ade through town.
3. May every generation come forth: This is a family friendly event. Costumes, bikes and a parade? We were thinking like kids when we created Tour de Fat.
4. Thou shall come as a participant not a spectator: It’s a costumed celebration of human-powered transportation. Muscles not motors, coasters, v-brakes and rotors. Come in your favorite alter ego, because when everybody’s weird, no one is.
5. Thou shalt not bring booze; But enjoy the supplied malted adult refreshments responsibly: Please do not bring any outside alcohol on the ride or into the park. It could result in getting the event shut down…don’t be that guy. And when you imbibe in our tasty brews, remember this is a Bicycle Festival with beer, not the other way around.
6. New Belgium shalt not profit: Our goal is to raise money for bicycle and environmental charities. New Belgium Brewing Company does NOT retain any of the events’ proceeds. Please think of your $5 beer tokens as donations to a worthy cause. All sales are final; beer tokens do not expire and will be accepted next year (does not include TEXAS).
7. Remember the purpose, and bring not your pooches: No canine friends allowed this year. We’re a dog-loving Brewery, but sadly not all municipalities and parks are. Please leave your best friends at home for their safety and the safety of others.
8. Keep the day true with thy good juju: The ride is free, but we suggest a $5 donation to the good bike advocates who are putting it on for you (does not include TEXAS). If you give more, you will not incur flats, mechanical troubles, or dry skin for a while…maybe. This is a celebration of the bike, not an anti-car rally. All tools have their place.
9. Thou shall rise early: Since Tour de Fat is a free show, we sometimes get more folks than we can accommodate. Once we’re full, we will handle overflow like a restaurant or bar: one in, one out. We reserve the right to determine the appropriate crowd size in the name of safety and enjoyment for those inside.
10. Thou shalt not steal thy neighbors’ bike: Don’t even think of leaving with a bike that doesn’t belong to you. Modern-day horse thieves will be dealt with by angry mob, pitchforks, and torches.
So if you’ve attended the Tour De Fat or have attended my Fat Tire Beer Charity Fundraising Beer Bust , or just want to send out some love – send a thanks out to Brew Meister Jamie Mastin, Ed Dopman, & the Fat Tire Beer Team for their continued support towards charity bike rides, and charity benefits, and for their product sponsorships by clicking on their logo.
Tour De Fat Related Links:
- Fat Tire Beer Bust Fundraising Party – 2005
- Fat Tire Beer Bust Charity Fundraising Party – 2006
- Fat Tire Beer Bust Charity Fundraising Party – 2007
- Fat Tire Beer Bust Charity Fundraising Party – 2008
- Fat Tire Beer Bust – 2009
- Tour De Fat – San Francisco – 2007
- Tour De Fat – 2008
- Tour De Fat – San Francisco – 2009