Packing for the AIDS/Lifecycle Bike Event is no easy task to master. One might think one could just throw a few bike jerseys & spandex shorts in a bag and go! NOPE! What about your sleeping bag? flashlight? nutritional supplements?
After participating in twenty 545 mile bike rides from San Francisco to Los Angeles with both California AIDS Ride & AIDS/Lifecycle, I believe I’ve gotten the packing down to a science.
With a detailed & thought out bike packing list, your 545 mile bicycle journey from S.F. to L.A., can run much smoother. While half-hazard packing might bring you to the edge of a nervous breakdown [trust me].
- (7) Pairs of Bike Socks
- (3 – 7) Bike Jerseys
- (2) Polypropylene/Wool/Silk Base layers
- (1) Gortex / Waterproof Cycling Jacket
- (1) Wool Beanie
- (3 – 7) Cycling Bibs / Bike shorts
- (1) Pair Loose Fitting Casual Shorts
- (1) Pair of Loose Fitting Sweat Pants
- (3) Tank Tops / T-shirts
- (1) Pair of comfortable shoes / flip flops (for in camp)
- (1) Swimsuit / Speedo
- (3) Bike Caps
- (1) Sweat Shirt / Wool Bike Jersey
- (2) Pairs of Sunglasses
- (2) Pairs of Cycling Gloves
- (2) Pairs Arm Warmers
- (1) Pair of Leg Warmers
- (1) Set of Pajamas
- (1) *Civilian Outfit
- The Civilian Outfit is for the day after you have completed your AIDS Ride [if possible – send / mail civilian clothing to lodging / hotel destination.]
Bicycle Seat Bag Accessories [or carry on person]
- 1 Bike Pump
- 1 Allen Wrench
- 1 Bicycle Inner tube Patch Kit
- 2 Presto to Schrader Valve Adapters
- 2 Inner tubes
- 2 Wide Mouth Water Bottles
- 1 Spoke Wrench
- 1 Set of Tire Irons
- 1 Roll of Quarters ($10.00)
- 1 Set of Spare Bike Cleats.
- 1 of 2 Large Plastic Heavy Duty Trash Bags (emergency rain gear)
- 1000 mg. Ibuprofen
- 1 Lip Balm
- 1 Sharpie Black Ink Marker (to mark holes in inner tubes when patching and/or to collect fellow cyclist’s information).
Packing List Toiletries:
- 7 razors
- 2 Lip balm
- 1 Small Bottle of Ibuprofen
- 3 Pairs of Ear Plugs
- 7 Hotel Sized (small) Shampoo Bottles
- 7 Small Tubes of Tooth Paste
- 2 Small Hand towels [a large towel will have no time to dry].
- 2 Tooth Brushes
- 1 bottle of 40+ Sunscreen
- Antihistamine (if you have allergies)
- Condoms & Lube
- 1 Small Bottle of Bug Repellent
- 1 Small First Aid Kit
- 1 Small Toiletries Bag [to carry items each day from tent to the shower].
- 14 Individually Packaged Electrolyte Supplements [Ex. Hammer Perpetuem].
- 7 Individually Packaged Recovery Drink Supplements [Ex. Endurox R4].
- 14 Individually Packaged Daily Vitamin Supplements
- 14 Carbohydrate Gels / Shots / Gu [Ex. Hammer Gel].
Bike Event “In Camp” Accessories:
- 1 Set of Playing Cards – Small Chess Game, etc.
- 1 Swiss Army Knife
- 1 Note Pad/Address Book & Three Pens
- 1 FlashLight or Head Lamp (with extra Batteries)
- 1 Cell Phone, Charger and Power Bank / Battery [bring additional car charger as backup]
- 1 30 Degree Sleeping Bag
- 1 Small Inflatable Pillow
- 2 Large Plastic Heavy Duty Trash Bags
- 5 Strong Plastic Tent Stakes
- 7 Clothes Pins
- 10 feet of Thin Rope [emergency clothes line].
- 1 Meditation Device [ Ex. book, music, prayer beads].
- Distinctive Decorations for your Tent [so you can find it].
- 1 Battery Operated Alarm Clock (extra set of batteries).
- 4 Sets of Wooden Chopsticks
- 1 Cow Bell or Noise Making Device [for cheering on other riders at the finish line].