Packing for the AIDS/Lifecycle Bike Event is no easy task to master. One might think one could just throw a few bike jerseys & shorts in a bag and go!
NOPE! What about your sleeping bag? night light? nutritional supplements?
After 20 bike treks from San Francisco to Los Angeles with both California AIDS Ride & AIDS/Lifecycle, I think I’ve gotten the packing down to a science.
With a detailed & thought out bike packing list, your 545 mile bicycle journey from San Francisco to Los Angeles, can run much smoother …. While half-hazard packing might bring you to the edge of a nervous breakdown [trust me].
- (7) Pairs of Bike Socks
- (3 – 7) Bike Jerseys
- (2) Polypropylene/Wool/Silk Base layers
- (1) Gortex / Waterproof Cycling Jacket
- (1) Wool Beanie
- (3 – 7) Cycling Bibs / Bike shorts
- (1) Pair Loose Fitting Casual Shorts
- (1) Pair of Loose Fitting Sweat Pants
- (3) Tank Tops / T-shirts
- (1) Pair of comfortable shoes / flip flops (for in camp)
- (1) Swimsuit / Speedo
- (3) Bike Caps
- (1) Sweat Shirt / Wool Bike Jersey
- (2) Pairs of Sunglasses
- (2) Pairs of Cycling Gloves
- (2) Pairs Arm Warmers
- (1) Pair of Leg Warmers
- (1) Set of Pajamas
- (1) *Civilian Outfit
- The Civilian Outfit is for the day after you have completed your AIDS Ride [if possible – send / mail civilian clothing to lodging / hotel destination.]
Bicycle Seat Bag Accessories [or carry on person]
- 1 Bike Pump
- 1 Allen Wrench
- 1 Bicycle Inner tube Patch Kit
- 2 Presto to Schrader Valve Adapters
- 2 Inner tubes
- 2 Wide Mouth Water Bottles
- 1 Spoke Wrench
- 1 Set of Tire Irons
- 1 Roll of Quarters ($10.00)
- 1 Set of Spare Bike Cleats.
- 1 of 2 Large Plastic Heavy Duty Trash Bags (emergency rain gear)
- 1000 mg. Ibuprofen
- 1 Lip Balm
- 1 Sharpie Black Ink Marker (to mark holes in inner tubes when patching and/or to collect fellow cyclist’s information).
Packing List Toiletries:
- 7 razors
- 2 Lip balm
- 1 Small Bottle of Ibuprofen
- 3 Pairs of Ear Plugs
- 7 Hotel Sized (small) Shampoo Bottles
- 7 Small Tubes of Tooth Paste
- 2 Small Hand towels [a large towel will have no time to dry].
- 2 Tooth Brushes
- 1 bottle of 40+ Sunscreen
- Antihistamine (if you have allergies)
- Condoms & Lube
- 1 Small Bottle of Bug Repellent
- 1 Small First Aid Kit
- 1 Small Toiletries Bag [to carry items each day from tent to the shower].
Endurance Cyclist Nutritional Supplements:
- 14 Individually Packaged Electrolyte Supplements [Ex. Hammer Perpetuem].
- 7 Individually Packaged Recovery Drink Supplements [Ex. Endurox R4].
- 14 Individually Packaged Daily Vitamin Supplements
- 14 Carbohydrate Gels / Shots / Gu [Ex. Hammer Gel].
Bike Event “In Camp” Accessories:
- 1 Set of Playing Cards – Small Chess Game, etc.
- 1 Swiss Army Knife
- 1 Note Pad/Address Book & Three Pens
- 1 Flash Light (with extra Batteries)
- 1 Cell Phone, Charger and Power Bank / Battery [bring additional car charger as backup]
- 1 30 Degree Sleeping Bag
- 1 Small Inflatable Pillow
- 2 Large Plastic Heavy Duty Trash Bags
- 5 Strong Plastic Tent Stakes
- 7 Clothes Pins
- 10 feet of Thin Rope [emergency clothes line].
- 1 Meditation Device [ Ex. book, music, prayer beads].
- Distinctive Decorations for your Tent [so you can find it].
- 1 Battery Operated Alarm Clock (extra set of batteries).
- 4 Sets of Wooden Chopsticks
- 1 Cow Bell or Noise Making Device [for cheering on other cyclist at the finish line].